Tuesday, May 8, 2012

spending + smiling

So money can buy happiness. My boss sent me this video to prove it:



Michael Norton said it much better than I can. And of course, this principle supports what we do as nonprofits.

But I'd like to step away from the craft of marketing for a moment to look at the ways we, individually, miss our regular opportunities for this kind of happiness.

And make no mistake: I'm right there with you.

I challenge you to do one of the following giving exercises this week. My friends have been challenging me to do the same.

Then feel free to comment and let me know how it feels, and I will too.

Pay it backward
That person in line, in the drive-through, or at the table behind you--they could use a break and a blessing! Cover their tab or pay part of their bill ... as quietly as possible.

Unexpected gift
This week, when you see that gift that reminds you of someone, buy it for them. Don't save it for their birthday; give it to them just because.

Don't just drive by
Do you live in a community where you see people asking for money on the street? If you do, carry cash or buy hearty snacks to have on-hand in your vehicle the next time you see someone in need during your commute.

Give through DonorsChoose.org
Take Michael Norton's suggestion and visit DonorsChoose.org to support a school in your city or across the country.

Or ... invite a friend to lunch and pick up the check, send flowers to congratulate someone, sponsor a child, check with a local food pantry or animal shelter to see what items they need (and buy some), or find your own way to spread happiness through your giving!

I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment